The Spann-Fischer Codependency Scale

Please feel free to use this instrument in your research.  I would just ask that you do the following two things:

(1) Cite the source by using the reference below (the scale appears on page 100 of the article); and

(2) Please send a copy of your paper or thesis/dissertation abstract when you are finished with your research to judith.fischer@ttu.edu in Word, WordPerfect, or RTF. You may also mail papers to: Dr. Judith Fischer, Dept. of Human Dev. & Family Studies, Texas Tech University, Lubbock, TX 79409-1162.

Please note: Your use of the scale in no way invalidates or transfers the copyright of the scale.

Fischer, J. L., Spann L., & Crawford, D. (1991). Measuring codependency. Alcoholism Treatment Quarterly, 8, 87-100.

Read the following statements and place the number in the spaces provided that best describes you according to the following list: 1 Strongly Disagree; 2 Moderately Disagree; 3 Slightly Disagree; 4 Slightly Agree; 5 Moderately Agree; 6 Strongly Agree.

1. It is hard for me to make decisions.

2. It is hard for me to say "no."

3. It is hard for me to accept compliments graciously.

4. Sometimes I almost feel bored or empty if I don't have problems to focus on.

5. 1 usually do not do things for other people that they are capable of doing for themselves.

6. When I do something nice for myself I usually feel guilty.

7. 1 do not worry very much.

8. I tell myself that things will get better when the people in my life change what they are doing.

9. I seem to have relationships where I am always there for them but they are rarely there for me.

10. Sometimes I get focused on one person to the extent of neglecting other relationships and responsibilities.

11. I seem to get into relationships that are painful for me.

12. I don't usually let others see the "real" me.

13. When someone upsets me I will hold it in for a long time, but once in a while I explode.

14. I will usually go to any lengths to avoid open conflict.

15. I often have a sense of dread or impending doom.

16. I often put the needs of others ahead of my own.

To obtain a scale score, reverse score items 5 and 7 and sum all the items.

Percentiles

Factor Loadings 15 item version only